Researching Certificates for My Film

During my research I found that some thriller films had a PG certificate (North by Northwest and The Third Man) some had a 12 certificate (such as Skyfall, Ocean's Eleven and The Bourne Ultimatum) and some had 18 certificates (such as Fargo and LA Confidential).

The majority of thriller films, however, seem to get a 15 certificate (such as Zodiac, Panic Room, The Game, Alive and Blood Diamond)



I have looked at the BBFC website to analyse the differences between films at PG, 12A, 15 and 18 to help me decide which certificate I should choose for my film. Below are links to each of these categories on the BBFC website with a summery of why I might choose/not choose that certificate for my film.

  • no detail of dangerous behaviour that young children might copy
  • no glamorisation of weapons such as knives
  • only mild bad language
  • violence can only be minimal, no detail
  • frightening sequences can not be intense 


  • again no promotion of dangerous behaviour which children might copy 
  • no glamorisation of realistic weapons 
  • can include moderate bad language but strong language will be limited
  • there can be moderate psychological and physical threats as well as moderate violence without emphasis on injuries or blood 


  • can include strong language (very strong language may be permitted)
  • strong threats and horror may be included 
  • the presentation of violence may be strong


  • can include almost any content in terms of violence, threat and bad language, as long as no laws are broken

Comments